logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zaarin_2003  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:40:43 PM(UTC)
zaarin_2003

United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm not planning on sticking my twins in front of an iphone (they are only 3!), but my mother thought that buying an iPad would be a good way to help encourage them with their speech delay. I am interested in using it as an aid to stimulating speech or something we can do together.

They are 3 year old boys, with a vocabulary of about 10-15 words. Mostly without consonants (so please is 'eeese' and poo is 'oooh'). They don't really string two words together either.

Anyway, I would be grateful for recommendations of any useful apps people have used.

Thanks

Matt
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:40:07 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Matt,

I was hoping some other parents would respond to your post before I did. Maybe someone has tried some apps. My reaction as a speech-language pathologist is to save your money on an iPad for now. Children learn language and speech skills the best from direct interactions with adults who love and care for them and talk with them--a lot! Research has proven that children do not learn language from seeing it and hearing it on-screen. Load up on fun picture books from the library and store and spend time talking about the pictures. Go places, play, build things, and talk talk talk. Of course, there are many other very useful techniques to use, too, such as pausing to give them a chance to try.

From your description, it sounds like your sons are really struggling to gain vocabulary words, to combine words, and to produce consonants in words. From my experience, I urge you to seek evaluations for them very soon. The evaluations can help you learn how to help them even more than you already are and give you insights into what is causing them difficulty.

Best wishes to you and your boys!

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
Jennifer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:37:37 PM(UTC)
Jennifer

I agree with Mary Lou, but I wanted to add the only exception may be that their speech-language pathologist may be able to recommend specific apps if she is using them in therapy just to encourage carryover of skills learned. There are some early learning apps such as hamaguchi apps, but I would only use under the recommendation of your SLP to make sure it is appropriate and used in a way that enhances communication development, not hinders it! However, at such a young age, I would be very cautious, I've not really seen any research to support the use of apps for language development and carryover to everyday environments, particularly at that age.