logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KayleeMH  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:40:15 PM(UTC)
KayleeMH

Hello! I have an almost 4 year old son. He started receiving speech therapy at 2.5 and though his expressive and receptive languages have greatly improved over this past year, he's definitely not where he should be. He was actually discharged from speech last month, but I don't think he should have been (that's a whole other long story).

I don't know what to do from here. I really feel like he needs help, but I don't know what kind. I honestly don't feel like his speech services helped him. I think it was just time that helped him to improve over the year. I feel like he's at a stand-still right now with his speech, though. If I had to guess, I'd say he's at a 2.5 year level with his speech. When he was 2.5 he was evaluated and was put at a 12 - 18 month level. What concerns me more is his receptive speech. He doesn't seem to understand a lot that is said to him. For instance, someone asked him today what his favorite animal was and he spelled his name. He answers questions with answers that make no sense. He doesn't do it all the time, but I'd say it happens quite often with questions he's not used to getting asked.

He's starting preschool in the fall so I'm hoping that will help him, but what else can I do? Do I try and get him speech therapy again? Do I wait it out? Is there another type of therapy I can get for him?

BTW, he was tested for autism at 3 and had very minimal characteristics so they said he wasn't autistic (or at least they aren't diagnosing him as at this time).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:45:10 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi KayleeMH,

Here are some of my thoughts:

-I assume your son's hearing was tested appropriately. If not, I would suggest that you schedule a hearing test with a clinical audiologist right away.

-You are very wise to be concerned about your son's difficulty understanding simple questions. How about thinking of a list of basic questions (What's your name? How old are you? What's your favorite toy/animal/food/color/character, etc.? Where do you live? When is your birthday? Do you have a dog/cat/etc.? Do you have a brother/sister? What are their names? etc.) and then making a simple book to practice these "facts" on a daily basis. You could get an inexpensive "photo album" such as at a dollar store and some blank 4" X 6" index cards and glue on pictures, write the questions, and then put the answers on the next page.

-In general, slow down your (and everyone's) rate of presenting directions and explanations to your son, grouping information into phrases, such as, "Go get your backpack...then put your lunch bag in it...then put your backpack by the back door." Repeat or restate as needed until he understands what to do.

-Where you live, do you have options for speech-language therapy other than the program that discharged your son from therapy? Did you receive a discharge report? If not, you are entitled to one. If you did, do you agree with it?

-Is it time for your son to have a reevaluation (has it been a year since his last evaluation)? It could be very helpful to update insights and information about your son's abilities and needs.

I hope you will write again!

Best wishes,

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
KayleeMH  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:12:02 PM(UTC)
KayleeMH

Thank you very much for your response! :)

My son did have his hearing tested and it was fine. I was told he apparently just has "selective hearing," which at the time was funny, but it isn't anymore. :(

My son can only answer basic questions because we've gone over them so he knows how to answer them. He has amazing rote skills. I'm going to have him evaluated again to see exactly where they think he's at with his delays. I really think he's going to be scored low, though, because people are starting to make comments that "at least he's physically healthy," and comments like that. :(

I'm going to do what you suggested and see how much that helps. Do you, or anyone, by any chance have any suggestions as to any conditions/disorders I could specifically have him tested for? I know just about everything has a label these days. Could he has CAPD? Or something else? Any directions on which way to look would be greatly appreciated.
Mary Lou SLP  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 10:27:09 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi KayleeMH,

I think it's a good idea that you are going to seek a reevaluation of your son's abilities. I would suggest starting with a speech-language evaluation and then asking the examiner her opinion as to whether there are any other areas of concern she noticed that would guide you to other assessments. In my work, we sometimes urge an evaluation with a developmental pediatrician and/or a clinical psychologist to get information about a child's cognitive abilities (verbal vs nonverbal skills), attention, etc. Another possibly enlightening evaluation is a sensory integration evaluation completed by an occupational therapist, if there are sufficient symptoms to warrant this.

In terms of audiology, that's good that you have had your son's hearing acuity tested and that it was normal. "Selective hearing" isn't a real diagnostic label; I'm not sure why an audiologist would use it. In terms of your question about CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder), your son is too young for such testing. You can ask at what age this can be done in your area. Here, I think it is around 8 years.

From what you have shared, it sounds like your son is struggling to "crack the code" of language so he can understand readily and accurately and formulate his responses and his own ideas. I'd suggest looking first in the direction of a language disorder (in the literature it is referred to as Specific Language Impairment). Clinically, you may hear "language delay"--which I think is misleading--or language disorder (receptive and/or expressive).

How is the clearness of your son's speech?

I hope you will write again--especially after your son's assessment!

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
KayleeMH  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 6:15:39 PM(UTC)
KayleeMH

I had my son evaluated today. I don't have the official report yet, but the evaluator told me my son has "peaks and valleys" when it comes to his language skills. She briefly showed me how he was scored and there were some areas he tested above a 4 year old's abilities (he'll be 4 in 2 months) and well below his actual age in other areas. She said he needs help in areas such as "where and what" questions. For instance, she asked him what he had for breakfast today and he responded with "toast," which is what he had. Then she asked him where he had breakfast and again he responded with toast. She asked him what he would do if he were cold and he said, "rain." He also seemed confused on questions where he had to look at a picture and point to the object that wasn't pictured in the box or which animal was not a certain color, etc.

She said he definitely should be receiving services so I'm going to pursue that. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to work with my son on the issues I gave examples of?