logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmommy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:31:14 PM(UTC)
rmommy

Hi all! My son is a 35 weeker and he's not really babbling. He has said gaga, agaga twice, baba once, hey, da here and there and that's about it. He recently learned to pull himself up, he army crawls and gets on all 4s, rocks and can take some ''steps'' on all 4s. He's doing great with the fine motor skills, has pincer grasps, eats all types of textures, doesn't gag, drinks from a straw cup, etc. Also his receptive language is good, knows his name and turns when we call him, knows where's daddy/dog, turn on/off the light, etc. Claps and waves, plays peekaboo and initiates it, sometimes pat a cake.
I really don't understand why isn't doing the classic reduplicating babble, he imitated even some sentences when he was 4-5 months old. Now he imitates actions and some sounds, like cough, raspberries but no words. Sorry if this post is long.

Here's a list with what he can do in case it helps (once again, he's 9 months old 1 week adjusted)

1. Responds to his name almost all the time, so I would say more than 85% except when he's very busy playing with a toy.

2. Follows a point but doesn't point yet. (I think it's early for that)

3. Understands Where's daddy? Turn on the light etc

4. Claps and waves (he will sometimes wave at people but I don't know if it's random or not)

5. Loves games like itzy bitzy spider, pat a cake (he will sometimes clap with me). Loves playing peekaboo and initiates it.

6. Interested in the environment.

7. Bangs toys together, presses buttons.

8. Holds his own bottle.

9. Good fine motor skills, has pincer grasp, can pick up peas and even lints from the carpet.

10. Loves our dog, laughs and tries to chase him.

11. Gets on his hands and knees, rocks but army crawls only. (did a bit of hands and knees crawling once). Gets into a sitting position on his own, can pull to stand.

12. Loves to eat and loves all the foods. Good with stage 3 foods and table foods.

13. Drinks from a straw cup.

14. He likes baths. Doesn't have problems with his hair being washed.

15. Imitates actions (giving kisses, sometimes he will give me a kiss when asked; splashing in the bathtub, banging on a bowl, etc)

My main question is: Does this sound like a speech delay? Should I call early intervention or give him some more time?
Thank you very much1
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 11:26:16 AM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi mommy (I'm surprised no one chose that name on this forum before!)

Your post has great information and a good question. I am surprised that no one has responded yet. I'm sorry you have been waiting for a response!

It is summer, so I, for one, have not been able to check this forum as often, but I do want to comment. I hope others will, too.

Your observations are excellent. Your son can do many things. His lack of vocalization is of some concern. If you live in an area where it can take awhile to get scheduled for an assessment, you may want to call now to get an assessment around 15 months. You can always cancel it if your son starts to become more vocal and attempt some real words around his first birthday.

In terms of suggestions, you may already be trying these things, but here are some ideas in case any are new:

-Repeat any sound he makes.

-Make fun sounds and "sound-effects" words often (zzzoooommm, beep, crashhhh, splashhhh, mmmmmm, ...)

-Make "easy" words often (wow! uh oh! owie! etc.)

-Talk about whatever is happening and remember to pause. Try not to ask a lot of direct questions.

-Talk about pictures in picture books, and pause.

-Sing songs (made up or real)

I hope you will write again!

Best wishes,

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
rmommy  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 9:44:41 PM(UTC)
rmommy

Thank you for all your wonderful advice! I tried to reply faster but the site didn't work. I'm happy to say that he started babbling about 2 weeks ago with a variety of consonants. I also followed your advice and started talking to him more and making sound-effects.
I wish you all the best and will keep you in touch! :)