logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiser  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:54:19 PM(UTC)
weiser

United States

I do have a mild to medium case of speech dyspraxia in that I have a problem saying the words I want to say or have moments where I pause before I continue my sentences because I cannot fluently speak constructive sentences with the words I want to say. I sometimes will be speaking just fine and suddenly hit a word I cannot say so I end up pausing or quickly trying to find an alternative word.

In the past year or so I am noticing now that I occasionally will mix up my words in a sentence such as saying "dalk the wog" instead of "walk the dog". I am not reversing my words like "dog the walk" etc. I usually find myself doing this when I am thinking to myself and less often when I actually speak. What type of disorder does this relate too? Is it a form of speech dyslexia or possible signs of dementia?

Today, I was thinking to myself about having to go feed my birds and I found myself saying I need to go beed the firds and realized this has become more of a frequent occurrence.
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 11:38:43 AM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Weiser,

I didn't notice your new post until today. Sorry about the delay in responding!

You show great insight into your speech. Since you are noticing an increase in this occurrence, I would urge you to consult with a speech-language pathologist who works with adults. Do you have a university hospital speech department in your area? Or, your physician may prefer to refer you first to a neurologist for an exam.

Best wishes to you! I hope you will write back after you have gained some information about what is occurring for you, if you are willing to share that information.

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com