logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gfung  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:00:53 PM(UTC)
gfung

Hi,
My 9.5 month baby boy just started babbling the repetitive sounds (mama baba) for about a week and then stopped. His interactions with people otherwise seem normal but I've been pretty worried about his lack of babbling.

Now I'm concerned as he's completely abandoned it and has gone back to just open vowel sounds.

Is this common for babies to take a break? He will only imitate my sounds if they are open vowel sounds but once I add a consonant he just stares!

Any tips or advice would be great appreciated!

Grace
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 9:09:58 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi gfung,

It has been a couple of weeks since you posted. Has your baby's babbling changed at all during that time? It sounds like you are making a lot of sounds and syllables as models and that he is watching you and trying. This is great! Perhaps he is moving forward in a more deliberate effort to put various sounds together. Keep up your efforts. I hope you will post again soon.

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
gfung  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2015 10:30:33 PM(UTC)
gfung

Hi Mary Lou,
Thanks so much for getting back to me! I really appreciate it.

He has not picked it up again unfortunately and is nearing 10 months which has me worried. In the mean time he has learned to crawl on all fours (was doing the army crawl previously) and pull up so he seems busy doing this. I find he is much more interested in motor skills.

He will occasionally do the open and close of the mouth as if to babble but often no sound comes out sometimes there will be sound (but I wonder if it's an accident). I can hear him sort of whisper baba or wawa when he does this. He will imitate the closing and opening of the mouth sometimes.

He did start making some different consonant sounds such as "ga" or "da" mixed in with vowel sounds after he stopped doing the repetitive babble.

I continue to try to get him to imitate me, but he will only do it when it's an open vowel but he's become much better at taking the cue to actual produce sound. About a month ago he would still just stare when you look at his expectantly.

Are there any tips to help him make vocal sounds instead of whisper the baba/wawa?

Mary Lou SLP  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 10:43:14 AM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Grace,

It's lovely how refined your observations are of your son's sound-making attempts!

You asked about any tips to help him make vocal sounds instead of whispering combinations like baba and wawa. Sitting very closely together, such as having him on your lap facing you, try putting his open palm on your throat where your larynx (voice box) is and make long sounds like "aaaaaah", "ooooooh", "maaaaamaaaaa", and so on. Being able to feel the vibration of your voice, along with being able to watch you closely, should be helpful. Only do this if he likes it and doesn't pull away. Keep it fun!

A question--did your son have and pass a newborn hearing screening? If he has never had his hearing tested, I would recommend it. Ask your doctor to refer you to a clinical audiologist, or schedule the appointment yourself, if your insurance does not require a doctor's referral. If you don't have insurance coverage for this test, ask about the Child Find program in your school district by going to or calling your local elementary school. That program's audiologist should provide a hearing test at no charge. Are you in the US? If you aren't, explore the public option where you live.

I hope you will write again!

Mary Lou

Edited by user Saturday, July 18, 2015 10:46:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com