logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
emma_shephard  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 12:01:07 AM(UTC)
emma_shephard

Hi all. First off, I'm from Australia. My ds is 9.5mths old and I feel he is behind in his communication but on every site I look at, has different ages to expect certain speech. He has to older sisters (2.5yrs & almost 4). he was very quiet till about 7mths then started some vowels ( /m/ & /b/ & /g/ ) then at 8mths some basic babbling bababa & gagaga and some consonants (abga aaaaba not babbling these though) and at 9.5mths now occasionally mmmmum (no mamama) when hes upset and wants me.
he doesn't babble or use vowels much though very much, preferring to scream, growl & kind of yodel. He had a liptie & tongue tie cut at 8mths and has a suspected dust mite allergy. He army crawled at 5mths, all four at 6mths and is cruising/standing about to walk now.
he starting to point to things
not clapping but will sometimes if constrained to his pram
waving sometimes but not sure if he fully understands the concept
if I play scream at him he'll do it back but if I try babbling or consonants he doesn't do them back.
I feel he is very behind his sisters and other friends with younger kids but depending on the site I go to, he's only a little behind or that I should be seeking a sp for evaluation.
Just wondering whether I wait till 12mths or push for a referral now? I'm being told he's just a busy boy, he's absolutely into everything and that will talk eventually but I'm a proactive person and if it helps him catch now then I'd rather do it early. I have asked my docter and he said he would give me a referral at 12mths if he wasn't babbling (asked at 7mths before he started babbling) also my both my brothers were late talkers but they also had grommets and I don't think he has a earing issue.
What do you all think?
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2014 8:40:45 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello Emma,

Welcome to this forum!

I always enjoy reading posts from parents who show they are very observant and also very strong advocates for their children's development.

It isn't easy to figure out if a child at 9 1/2 months is moving along in his language and speech development, or not. Fortunately, your son is vocal. So, when he wants you and says, "mmmmum," is he comforted when you say, "Mama--I'll hold you--Mmmaaammmaaa"? I would suggest modeling words for him when you know what he wants. Stretch out the vowels to make the words "last longer". Pause, then say each word again. Many children really perk up to stretched word productions. More examples: "baaaallll"/ball, "mmmmmoooorrrre"/more, "gooooo"/go.

It sounds good that your son's doctor will give you a referral at 12 months for an assessment. It would be wise to go for the assessment then if it looks like your son truly is not babbling word-like syllables or not using any true words. If he is doing those things by 12 months, then it might be better to wait until he is 18 months old before going for the assessment.

Are you positive your son is hearing well? Was his hearing tested as a newborn? It is always good to be sure that hearing is just fine.

I hope you will write again!

Best wishes to you and your son.

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
emma_shephard  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:07:05 AM(UTC)
emma_shephard

.Thank you!

I'm pretty sure his hearing is fine but I am waiting for a doctors appointment so I can get a referal to rule out hearing problems but he pasted his newborn hearing test fine.

Usually when he comes looking for me saying "mmmmum" I'll say "I'm here Titan, mamama" so maybe try longating the sounds for him instead?

I think my other problem is trying to get him to stay still and interact with me to "take turns" having a conversation. He is so active and invisitive that unless I'm playing peek-a-boo he just looks for other exciting things to watch (dogs, sisters, moving fan ect) do you have some suggestions on fun ways to get his attention for turn taking? He loves peek-a-boo and playing "ta" with me.

Also would maybe teaching him some baby sign language? I've heard it can help with visual learning?

Mary Lou SLP  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:11:19 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Emma,

That's good that your son passed his newborn hearing test. It's good that you are still going to check his hearing now. It's likely not an issue, but it is always wise to check.

What you say to your son when he says "mmmmum" when looking for you sounds like a perfect start. How about trying this to try to set him up for an imitation:

I'm here, Titan!
Mama's here!
Mama!
Mmaaammmaaa!
(with a big smile)

If he is still listening to you and watching you, say Mmaaammmaaa! up to 3 times, pausing each time so he can try to copy you if he is ready and able to. Stretching sounds and words can really attract a child's attention and help him figure out how the sounds are made.

Since he is super-busy, just keep looking for opportunities to provide some word and sound-effects models (animal sounds, etc.) when he does attend to you. Peek-a-boo is a great activity to build some turn-taking. Keep making slight changes in how you play it (a different scarf or blanket over his eyes, just hands over your eyes, etc). Slight changes can build increased interest.

Please tell us what the "ta" game is!

If you want to learn some baby signs, it's worth a try. The gestures may help gain his visual attention and, if he copies the signs, those actions may "pull out" his verbal attempts. I'd suggest starting with just a few.

Mary Lou

Edited by user Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:12:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com