logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debbie  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 9:02:59 AM(UTC)
Debbie

United States

Hi,

I use to visit this site delay when my daughter was a preschooler. I wanted to let you know how my daughter is now doing now as a rising 6th Grader. I know from time to time some parents return with a follow-up on their children.

My daughter did not begin to babble until she was 2 1/2. She did now ask her first why question until she was 4. It was on Martin Luther King's Birthday and we were at a gas station. She wanted to know why a car was having a hard time on the ice. I will not never forget it.

My daughter started developmental preschool at the age of 3 and 5 months in September of that year. We had begun the testing process during February of the previous year after a doctor's check-up. My daughter had a great amount of energy and wanted to do what she wanted to do all the time. So her testing process was very interesting. She ran around, plopped out her seat, and did not "answer" every questions to her fullest ability. Some things she did not know because I had not taught her. I felt really bad. I had been telling myself, "I will do those things once she started to talk.' But, I quickly realized I could not wait any longer.

After the first screening, I started teaching her. Between her initial screening and her start of preschool, she had learned many things. I would label everything all the time. Her big assessment stated that she was 6 months behind in her expressive language and receptive language was close to age appropriate. My daughter attended the developmental preschool part-time and a regular preschool for the remainder of the day to have time to use her new skills with her peers.

She began to make progress and I could see a trend. She made three leaps a year: around October, around her birthday (April), and during the summer. I thought that was very interesting. We started her on "play therapy" because she had a big problem listening and following discipline -- she just wanted to do what she wanted to do. We found out she had ADHD and started her on medication for Kindergarten. She would have never sat in her seat or learned anything without meds. in a half-day regular public school classroom with almost 30 kids.

Fast forward to today, her speech is very good, she has friends, she is a Girl Scout, and a rising 6th grader. She is calm, listens and follows direction. She talks all the time and sometimes does not know when to stop! She has had some difficulty with reading, math, and writing. She has made great improvement this year in all three of those areas. She did have a problem with handwriting between Kindergarten and First Grade. I tried having her work with a occupational therapist but my daughter did not listen and would not follow directions. So it was a waste of time and money. What did work and she did like is I bought a DVD off the internet called the TV Teacher. All she needed was the lowercase DVD and she took off with great handwriting.

So what I wanted to say is I know it is scary today but kids do improve. They do go from not babbling at 2 and speaking clearly at 11. There is hope!

Good luck!

Debbie
Sponsor
KayleeMH  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 11:00:45 PM(UTC)
KayleeMH

Thank you for posting this! It definitely gives me hope! :)