logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mamalife  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:51:15 PM(UTC)
mamalife

United States

I am looking for any insight... I have just had my twin 15mo old boys evaluated for speech, because they do not babble often with consonant sounds and say no words (not even mama or dada). There is little concern among professionals that they are on the spectrum for autism - because they have good eye contact, are social, and have no stemming behaviors - and they seem to have good receptive language because they understand most of what I say. I am worried sick though. They are showing a 50% delay, meaning they are more at a 7mo old level of speech than 15mos old. I am looking into state, county, and private services. But, what I am desperate for is someone to tell me that they can catch up? What might their future be? What else can I do? I'm torn, because they are still so young - and I want to enjoy the moments without all the obsessive fear and questioning. Thank you for any insight you may have....
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 12:47:33 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello Mamalife,

I am writing a quick reply now before heading to the airport. I will write more soon, and I hope others will respond to your post.

It is wonderful that you are being so observant of your boys and have already sought support for them. At 15 months of age, certainly you can look forward to lots of positive changes. Will it take more work on your part? It is too soon to tell, but it is always helpful when parents are proactive in their stimulation efforts and also are open to early intervention services.

Definitely enjoy the summer and try not to let worry wedge its way into your interactions with your sons.

I am headed to visit my 29-year-old son, who had me very worried when he was 17 months old, and who now is a medical resident!

You have much to look forward to. Keep advocating for them and learning new methods to try with them.

Best wishes!

Mary Lou
Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com