logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mary Lou SLP  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:16:57 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
For years, I have heard of the Floortime method, but I really did not know what it was. The mother of a child diagnosed with autism was very active on this forum for several years. She wrote that this method was very useful to her and her son. Recently I learned of the book called, Engaging Autism: The Rebecca School DIR Casebook for Parents and Professionals, written by Dr. Greenspan with Gil Tippy.

As I am reading the book, I realize that it was written by a master clinician who really understood children and was able to think on his feet at any given moment to figure out an interaction that would be beneficial to the child. The book is rich with concepts and information to guide parents and others who truly want to help children thrive.

If you are the parent (or other caring adult) of a child who has been diagnosed on the autism spectrum, I urge you to read this book, whether you are just starting your search for the best ways to help your child or whether you have been pursuing this process for several years. The principles Dr. Greenspan wrote about are likely to be very helpful to you. Read this before you choose a specific method or path to take, such as ABA.

Really, I think the parent of any young child would benefit from reading this book. Getting down on the floor with your youngster, following his or her lead, creating the need for your child to think and solve "problems" that arise, is good for the mental development of all children. Learning ways of talking and playing with your child and working through interactions of all types can make a huge difference in your child's ultimate abilities to engage, think, respond, speak, and learn.

Mary Lou

Edited by user Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:59:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Title correction

Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
Sponsor