logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
loui50  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:31:56 PM(UTC)
loui50

I'm worried about my son. He is 15 months old and has not met his speech and language milestones since 9 months. He mostly babbles dadadada and occasionally mamamama. He doesn't use either in context. He will mimic the word teeth (he loves to brush his teeth) and did say it independently for the first time today! He doesn't respond to his name most of the time. He doesn't seem to understand the work "no" but if he has something that we have taken away from him before he seems to understand that we are going to take it away again and he runs. I'm not worried about autism. I work with autistic children doing ABA and I don't see the red flags. He is very social, loves to drive his cars around on the floor, has no sensory issues etc. I'm just worried about the speech. I don't know much about speech delay that isn't related to autism. I spoke to his doctor and she referred him for a hearing test and a specific speech evaluation. I'm a little nervous about what I'm going to find out. We had him evaluated by an early intervention program and he did not qualify for services. He scored outstanding in everything but speech, and was just a few points too high to get speech therapy. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as the evaluation and the hearing test? Am I over reacting? some of my friends say he is just a late talker and I am over reacting.
Sponsor
Mary Lou SLP  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:10:10 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I never feel that a conscientious parent is overreacting. I think it is highly appropriate to collect some additional information since your son seems to be struggling to understand and use language as expected. I think your doctor is very wise to suggest a hearing test (you must rule out any hearing loss) and a speech-language evaluation. When I evaluate young children, I use the session as an opportunity to point out the skills the child does and does not show which lead to language development (play skills, interaction/attachment, social skills, gestural skills). I also use the session to make suggestions and to demonstrate some techniques for the parents to try at home over the next several months. I hope you will look at the session as an opportunity to learn some new things for your son's benefit. Perhaps the session will enable you to qualify your son for the early intervention program at this point in time.

Let me know if you were looking for more specifics about what might happen during the hearing test and the speech-language assessment. You can also call the clinic ahead of time to find out how they do things there.

I hope you will write back after the evaluations.

Best wishes,

Mary Lou

Edited by user Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:12:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mary Lou B. Johnson, M.S.,CCC-SLP

http://www.HelpYourChildSpeak.com
loui50  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 12:49:09 AM(UTC)
loui50

Mary Lou, thank you for your quick reply. During the speech evaluation, will it mostly just be play for my son? I don't want him to be scared. Can they even do speech therapy with a child so young? I have been working with him doing everything I know as a behavior analyst since 12 months with very little progress. I am hoping to get him into speech therapy, even if I have to pay for it. The early intervention program here would have been at no charge to us, but they will not re evaluate him until 18 months and I do not want to just wait.
Mary Lou SLP  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 2:48:58 AM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

It should be that you will be with your son the entire time. (Call ahead if you want to make sure of that.) Much of the speech-language evaluation session could be an interview with you (using a questionnaire/scale that can be scored) about what is usual for your son each day. Any direct interactions with your son that may occur should be very play-oriented. There shouldn't be anything that happens that would frighten him. If something concerns you during the testing, certainly advocate for him!

During the hearing test, your son might be on your lap. Again, ask the audiologist what is the usual practice at your son's age, and tell him or her that you want to help make the session be as positive an experience for your son as possible.

I have written much on the subject of the ways that we talk with young children can make a big difference in their responsiveness and ability to respond. My concepts may be a good adjunct to what you are already doing with your son. And, they may be good supplementary information to a treatment program if you start therapy soon.

Best wishes.

Mary Lou

loui50  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 3:25:30 PM(UTC)
loui50

Much to my surprise, my son did not pass his hearing test. He has fluid in his ears and an ear infection that had no symptoms. Our pediatrician is giving him 10 days on antibiotics and if the fluid is not gone she will refer him to the ENT for tubes. She said it is possible that he has had fluid in his ears that has gone undetected that could be causing hearing problems and that may be why he isnot talking yet. It is just wait and see now.
Mary Lou SLP  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 3:01:42 AM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

I am glad you wrote back to update your thread with what you have learned. Ear infections and fluid can go undetected, so it is excellent that you got this test for your son so that you and your doctor can help him. How did the test go? I know you were concerned about how your son would feel in that setting.

Your experience is a good reminder to all parents of young children to be sure to get a hearing evaluation with an audiologist when a child is not talking as well as he should be.

When is the speech-language assessment?

I hope you will continue to write.

Mary Lou

loui50  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:24:14 AM(UTC)
loui50

Just thought I would update. My son got tubes in his ears exactly 7 days ago and has started talking. He called me mama for the first time 2 days after his surgery. He also says dada and two clearly. He says tee for three, ju for juice, Chi for chip, emnem for m&m. He mimics all kinds of stuff when he is in the mood. I am pretty sure he is trying to say the dog's name when he is around her. Today he opened his brown bear book to the picture of the teacher and said te te te. I am so excited. The speach therapist 's office never called me back so we decided to give him the 6 weeks until his 18 month check up to learn on his own and if he still needs it then we will get a referral for a different speech therapist.
Mary Lou SLP  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2012 1:52:44 PM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

I am SO glad you added an update.

How wonderful that your son is saying so many words so soon after getting ear tubes! The words you listed show good variety. It is good that they are specific nouns. I urge you to keep a list of the words he uses, dating each new entry.

I hope you will write again with another update!

Mary Lou

loui50  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 12:02:47 PM(UTC)
loui50

Now that my son is starting to talk I have even more questions!! He is only getting the first part of many words. He says Ju for juice, chi for chips, caca for cat, te te for teacher, go go for goldfish. Is this just normal speech development and is this normal for a 17 month old? Is it beneficial for us to repeat the whole word back to him when he says it. For instance, when he says Ju ju ju for his juice I usually give it to him and say you want your Juice. Now that he is hearing will he likely catch up on his own? I think he is doing really well, but my husband is still worried that he is behind. It has only been 3 weeks since he got the tubes in his ears.
Mary Lou SLP  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 5:39:50 AM(UTC)
Mary Lou SLP

What you described could be normal for a 17-month-old who has just started to talk. It won't be typical closer to 24 months.

Yes, you should repeat what he says so he can hear the correct model. I advocate stretching the vowels in key words so the words "last longer". This really seems to help young children. Putting this technique together with my Upside-Down Pyramid method, your example would sound like:

You want your juice.
Here's your juice.
Juuuuuiiice. (pause)
Juuuuuiiice. (pause)
Juuuuuiiice. (pause)

I usually say the key word about 3 times while handing the desired item to the child. Notice the periods after the sentence, phrase, and single words. I advocate making statements and not asking questions (it's all in the inflection of your voice, so pay close attention to that.) Statements tend to elicit imitations from children far more than questions do.

I hope you will post again in a short while so we can hear about your son's progress!

Mary Lou